CORE offers PROMISE scholarships to high school seniors from household at or below 200% of the poverty guideline to help pay first-year college expenses (including living expenses and books).
To be eligible to apply within the 2016 – 2017 application cycle, you must be:
- A 2016 graduate of a School District of Philadelphia public, charter, archdiocese, or private high school.
- A resident of the City of Philadelphia. [An applicant attending a parochial or private school must provide one item of proof of residency in Philadelphia along with one parent or legal guardian.]
- Planning to pursue an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree at a participating college or university.
- If you meet the above criteria click here to apply.
- **Complete and fully submit Rise application**
There is no GPA requirement, no required letters of recommendation, and no mandatory extracurricular activities.
**If you are also eligible for the RISE scholarship, you will automatically be required to apply for RISE. If accepted, the Promise Scholarship will be used to kick-start your IDA account**
The 2016 Promise Scholarship is $250
For the 2015-2016 application cycle, CORE is accepting scholarship applications from May 11th until July 22nd for students planning to matriculate to college in the fall of 2016.
ATTENDANCE TO THE SEND-OFF CONFERENCE IS MANDATORY. However, if you are unable to attend due to circumstances out of your control, such as an emergency, pre-planned vacation, or summer program, just let us know in advance and you will still be able to receive the scholarship.
How To Apply
The CORE Promise Scholarship Application will be accessible from May 11th through July 22nd for high school seniors/ recent graduates. Proof of Residency must be submitted before the application deadline.
Before starting a CORE Promise Scholarship Application a potential applicant must:
- Be a Philadelphia resident, and graduating high school SENIOR in the Class of 2016
- Attend a Philadelphia public or charter high school (proof of residency is not necessary) -OR- attend a parochial or private high school in Philadelphia (the applicant and one parent will need to to provide one item from the proof of residency. Click here for more information)
- Have a working email account (CORE Scholarships communicates primarily by email)
- Complete a 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Apply to one of the CORE Scholarships affiliated colleges or universities (click here to see the list of colleges and universities)
Forwarding Proofing of Residency
If you have already completed a CORE Promise Scholarship application and still need to complete the Proof of Residency requirement, please send the applicant’s Philadelphia Proof of Residency, along with the Philadelphia Proof of Residency for one parent to:
CORE Scholars Foundation
1604 Locust St, 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Proof of Residency can also be faxed or emailed as a pdf attachment.
In all cases, please be sure to put the applicant’s name and Social Security Number on both the applicant’s and parent’s Proof of Residency.
All applicants will receive an initial email letter from CORE Scholarships notifying them that CORE Scholarships received the application. If the applicant does not receive the notification, email CORE Scholars at email@example.com.